As a standard procedure, a Coordinator/Supervisor/Team leader accompanies 5% of all interviews conducted by each interviewer on each project. The accompaniments are spread evenly across the fieldwork period. They seek to ensure that interviewers are following all instructions and interviews are being conducted in a standard way. They form part of the training particularly for any new joiners. They are by no means a policing exercise, as Coordinator/Supervisor/Team leader will always get to do the first interview while accompanying..
While accompanying the Coordinator/Supervisor/Team leader look out for the following:
- 1. Has days work been planned effectively
- 2. Is the right approach being used or does the interviewer invite refusals
- 3. Are the interview materials well organized (questionnaires, visual aids)
- 4. Can the interviewer terminate non-effective calls tactfully, quickly and courteously
- 5. Does the interviewer know how to introduce and administer sensitive questions to the respondents without offending them e.g. Age, Income
Accompaniments present the Coordinator/Supervisor/Team leader with an ideal opportunity to assess the capabilities and potential of an interviewer. Subsequently, they complete appraisals for every interviewer that are filed and used to decide on the suitability of individual interviewers for specific projects or types of projects.